Partial knee replacement or resurfacing.
The concept is to resurface only the worn sections of the knee.
The sections are referred to as compartments. There are three compartments in the knee. One, two or three compartments can be resurfaced
Benefits of Partial knee resurfacing:
- Only the worn section is resurfaced (replaced in traditional terminology, although resurfacing is a more accurate and appropriate description).
- The remaining sections are left untouched.
- The cruciate ligaments are untouched, this means that the knee has greater stability than a total knee replacement and moves normally. The movement of the knee is with a partial knee replacement is almost identical to the natural knee. Where as a total knee replacement moves in an abnormal fashion.
- Can be changed to a total knee a later date if required.
- A partial knee resurfacing has been described as a "retread"
The Sigma and Partial knee replacement / resurfacing unicompartmental product
The Conformis custom partial knee duo (2/3rds of the knee resurfacing)